Book Debate: "Gorbachev. His life and Time", William Chase Taubman
(Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Biography, in 2004)
Within the courses Contemporary International Politics, Prof. Mónica Dias; Teoria das Relações Internacionais, Prof. Lívia Franco.
In partnership with Saída de Emergência - livros para fugir da rotina
Date: November 8, 6.30pm
Venue: Exhibitions Room (Second floor, BUJPII Building)
MA in Political Science and International Relations Viva Voce: "O Sistema Político e a Nova Governação da União Europeia", Miguel Vaz Freire, BA
Date: November 14 | 2pm
Venue: Room Sociedade Científica (First floor, BUJPII Building)
IEP-UCP Career Day
Beginning of classes of the first period of Fall Semester
IT HAPPENED LAST October
October 12 and 13
International Seminars: "War and Peace", Prof. Anthony O'Hear, Director Royal Institute of Philosophy; Editor, Philosophy, London
1) Thucydides' Mellian Dialogue, and a Darwinian Perspective
2) The Iliad, Poem of Might: Reflections on Homer and Simone Weil
3) The Open Society; a Popperian Utopia? and the Paradox of Tolerance
October 16 | The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends...
The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends António Filipe Coelho Pratas Cruz, MA, on defending his MA Degree (Political Science and International Relations) dissertation on the theme "Política de Asilo da União Europeia e a sua Evolução motivada pela Crise Migratória", at the Viva Voce held on October 16. The candidate was unanimously approved with the final classification of Feliciter.
October 17 | Conference: "1918-2018 Czech and Slovak Common Century"
The conference "1918 - 2018: Czech and Slovak Common Century", which occurred last October 17th, was organized in partnership with the Embassies of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic in Portugal. We have been honoured with the participation of HE Oldřich Hlaváček, Ambassador of the Slovak Republic in Portugal, and HE Petr Šelepa, Ambassador of the Czech Republic in Portugal, as well as two guest-speakers from both countries.
The Ambassadors from Georgia, Moldova, Poland, Serbia, Sweden and Ukraine also honoured us with their presence.
The Photo Gallery is available here
Info about the event at the Czech Republic Embassy website here
Programme of the event here
October 24 | CIEP Seminar
"Os conflitos das «Zonas Cinzentas» e a «Guerra Ambígua»", Admiral António Rebelo Duarte
|IEP ALUMNI CLUB|
The main objective of the IEP Alumni Club is to create lasting relationships by supporting the insertion in the job market, mentoring, collaboration among alumni, and through the organization of academic, cultural, social and recreational activities. It is our belief that this will contribute to the recognition of the IEP as an institution of excellence and the quality of its students.
Read the President's full message here.
“Clássicos de Outono” is a programme entirely thought for IEP-UCP alumni. Functionning as a seminar, but not with the same formalities as an academic programme, the idea is to revisit the classics in a relaxed environment, in which the reading and conversation will be directed by Miguel Monjardino.
Registrations are limited to 16 Alumni.
IEP-UCP is proud to let you know that Bernardo Ribeiro, IEP Alumnus 2017, finished his Master Programme in War Studies at King's College with Distinction.
New | "Palestra Anual Alexis de Tocqueville 1998-2018" (Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lecture 1998-2018) Book
Essentially, the book brings together the Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lectures, which began in 1998. These are formal ceremonies to award diplomas which are preceded by a lecture by a distinguished guest speaker and followed by a formal dinner.
The name Alexis de Tocqueville may not be widely known, but it was -and continues to be- a name that expresses with particular elegance and distinction the project dreamt by IEP-UCP: a project of university autonomy, of orderly and quiet defense of freedom, of refusal of what Tocqueville called a "sterile conflict between Old Regime and Revolution" or "perpetual oscillation between serfdom and abuse".
- Price: 29.90€ -
On sale! Nova Cidadania Journal n.º 65: Summer 2018
Subscribe and get the Journal at your door!
Also available in the following bookstores:
Almedina, Livraria Jurídica, Férin, Papelaria do Alto (Estoril), Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Wook, Pingo Doce stores and directly from IEP-UCP!
20-year IEP Booklet
As part of the 20th Anniversary celebrations of the Institute for Political Studies of the Universidade Católica Portuguesa, we are pleased to launch the "IEP-UCP 20-Year Booklet" which provides a retrospective of what we have come to do.
During the past month, IEP acquired for its library the following books:
- Beschloss, Michael, Presidents of War, Crown, 2018.
- Eatwell, Roger; Goodwin, Matthew, National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy, Pelican Books, 2018.
- Greenspan, Alan; Wooldriedge, Adrian, Capitalism in America: a History, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Hardy, Henry, In Search of Isaiah Berlin – A Literary Adventure, I.B. Tauris, 2018.
- Hazony, Yoram, The Virtue of Nationalism, Basic Books, 2018.
- Murphy, Peter, Limited Government: The Public Sector in the Auto-Industrial Age, Routledge, 2018.
- Prideaux, Sue, I am Dynamite: A Life of Friedrich Nietzsche, Faber, 2018.
- Roberts, Andrews, Churchill, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Robinson, John Martin, The Travellers Club: a Bicentennial History, Libanus Press, 2018.
- Rosaye, Jean-Paul; Marshall, Catherine, L’idéalisme britannique / British Idealism - Philosophical Enquiries. Revue des philosophies anglophones, Hors-série n° 1, 2018.
- Wooton, David, Power, Pleasure and Profit: Insatiable Appetites from Machiavelli to Madison, Belknap, Harvard University Press, 2018.