October 12 and 13
International Seminars: "War and Peace", Prof. Anthony O'Hear, Director Royal Institute of Philosophy; Editor, Philosophy, London
Dates: October 12, from 6.30pm to 8pm
October 13, 10am to 1.30pm
Venue: Room 427 (Second floor, BUJPII Building)
MA in Political Science and International Relations Viva Voce: "Política de Asilo da União Europeia e a sua Evolução motivada pela Crise Migratória", António Filipe Coelho Pratas Cruz, BA
Date: October 16 | 11.30am
Venue: Room Sociedade Científica (First floor, BUJPII Building)
Conference: "1918-2018 Czech and Slovak Common Century"
Within the course "Construção Europeia", in association with the Czech Embassy and the Slovak Embassy in Portugal, for the 100th anniversary of the constituion of Czechoslovakia
Date: October 17| 2.00pm to 3.30pm
Venue: Exhibition Room (Second floor, BUJPII Building)
October, 3 and 4
Elections for IEP Pedagogical Committee
Holy Spirit Mass (12pm)
Conference "100th anniversary of the constitution of Czechoslovakia"
End of the first period (1st cycle)
October, 24 to November, 2
End of the first period (2nd and 3rd cycle)
IT HAPPENED LAST SEPTEMBER
September 06 | Reception to new BA students
Photo Gallery available soon
September 12 | Reception to new MA and PhD students
Photo Gallery available soon
September 12 | Meeting of the Extended Scientific Committee
September 19 | The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends...
The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends Francisca Nunes, MA, on defending her MA Degree (Political Science and International Relations) dissertation on the theme "A «Cultura de repúdio» Roger Scruton e a Ameaça do Islamismo Radical", at the Viva Voce held on Spetember 19. The candidate was unanimously approved with the final classification of Feliciter.
September 20 | Annual Winston Churchill Memorial Lecture and Dinner
The 4th Annual Winston Churchill Memorial Lecture and Dinner took place on September 20. The lecture was presented by Professor John Owen IV, Ambassador Henry J. and Mrs. Marion R. Taylor, Professor of Politics at the University of Virginia, on "Churchill and International Order".
We are extremely honoured that the event counted with the presence of His Excellency the President of the Portuguese Republic, Professor Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.
Also present were UCP Vice-Rector, Professor Fernando Ferreira Pinto; UCP Former Rector, Professor Manuel Braga da Cruz; and Director of the Centre for European Studies, and former President of the European Commission, Mr. José Manuel Durão Barroso.
The whole programme is promoted in association of the International Churchill Society of Portugal, British Historical Society of Portugal, Oxford Society of Portugal and Royal British Club and we are grateful for the High Patronage of H.E the President of the Portuguese Republic.
Presentation of Professor John Owen IV
Professor John Owen IV's Lecture
September 25| The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends...
The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends Mariana Rodrigues , MA, on defending her MA Degree (Governance, Leadership and Democracy Studies) dissertation on the theme "The Resurgence of the Conflict in Mozambique between the FRELIMO-Led Government and RENAMO: 2013 to the presente day", at the Viva Voce held on Spetember 25. The candidate was unanimously approved with the final classification of Magna Cum Laude.
Jury: General Luís Valença Pinto, Fernando Jorge Cardoso PhD, Mrs. Amarilla Kiss
September 26 | CIEP Seminar
"A escolha do Presidente da Comissão Europeia: uma questão em aberto?", Professor Nuno Sampaio
|IEP ALUMNI CLUB|
The main objective of the IEP Alumni Club is to create lasting relationships by supporting the insertion in the job market, mentoring, collaboration among alumni, and through the organization of academic, cultural, social and recreational activities. It is our belief that this will contribute to the recognition of the IEP as an institution of excellence and the quality of its students.
Read the President's full message here.
On June 25th, the first general meeting of the IEP ALUMNI CLUB took place where the following social bodies were elected:
President - Henrique Burnay
Vice-Presidents - Cristiano Cabrita; Filipa Brigola
Vowels - Ana Mendes; Bruno Garschagen
President - Gonçalo Venâncio
Vice-President - Mariana Cudell
Vowels - Maurício Casarín, Diogo Madureira, Dace Vinovska
New | "Palestra Anual Alexis de Tocqueville 1998-2018" (Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lecture 1998-2018) Book
Essentially, the book brings together the Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lectures, which began in 1998. These are formal ceremonies to award diplomas which are preceded by a lecture by a distinguished guest speaker and followed by a formal dinner.
The name Alexis de Tocqueville may not be widely known, but it was -and continues to be- a name that expresses with particular elegance and distinction the project dreamt by IEP-UCP: a project of university autonomy, of orderly and quiet defense of freedom, of refusal of what Tocqueville called a "sterile conflict between Old Regime and Revolution" or "perpetual oscillation between serfdom and abuse".
- Price: 29.90€ -
On sale! Nova Cidadania Journal n.º 65: Summer 2018
Subscribe and get the Journal at your door!
Also available in the following bookstores:
Almedina, Livraria Jurídica, Férin, Papelaria do Alto (Estoril), Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Wook, Pingo Doce stores and directly from IEP-UCP!
20-year IEP Booklet
As part of the 20th Anniversary celebrations of the Institute for Political Studies of the Universidade Católica Portuguesa, we are pleased to launch the "IEP-UCP 20-Year Booklet" which provides a retrospective of what we have come to do.
During the past month, IEP acquired for its library the following books:
- Andrew, Christopher, The Secret World: A History of Intelligence, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Auslin, Michael, End of the Asian Century: War, Stagnation and the Risks to the World’s Most Dynamic Region, Yale University Press, 2017.
- Benjamin, Craig, Empires of Ancient Eurasia: The First Silk Roads Era, 100 BC - 250 CE, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Clark, J.C.D., Thomas Paine: Britain, America, and France in the Age of Enlightenment and Revolution, Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Collier, Paul, The Future of Capitalism: Facing the New Anxieties, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Cormac, Rory, Disrupt and Deny: Spies, Special Forces, and the Secret Pursuit of British Foreign Policy, Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Gaddis, John Lewis, On Grand Strategy, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Haven, Cynthia L., Evolution of Desire: A Life of René Girard, Michigan State University Press, 2018.
- Kershaw, Ian, Roller-Coaster: Europe, 1950-2017, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Lee, Christopher, Carrington: An Honourable Man, Viking, 2018.
- Lloyd, C. E. R. (Ed ), Ancient Greece and China Compared, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, Has the West Lost It? A Provocation, Allen Lane, 2018.
- Morley, Neville, Classics: Why It Matters, Polity, 2018.
- Muller, Jerry Z., The Tyranny of Metrics, Princeton University Press, 2008.
- Shani, Ornit, How India Became Democratic: Citizenship and the Making of the Universal Franchise, Penguin Random House, 2018.
- Verdery, Katherine, My Life as a Spy: Investigations in a Secret Police File, Duke University Press, 2018.
During the past month, the following books were offered to IEP's Library:
- Carvalho, Patrícia, Ainda aqui estou, Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018. | Offered by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos
- International Affairs, Volume 93, nº 2, March 2017, Oxford University Press. | Offered by Professor Francisco Proença Garcia
- International Affairs, Volume 94, nº 2, March 2018, Oxford University Press. | Offered by Professor Francisco Proença Garcia
- Mendes, Rita, Viver da morte: a indústria funerária em Portugal, Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018. | Offered by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos
- Pires, Iva, Desperdício alimentar, Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018. | Offered by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos
- Raimundo, Filipa, Ditadura e Democracia: legados da memória, Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018. | Offered by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos
- Rodrigues, Teresa, Envelhecimento e políticas de saúde, Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018. | Offered by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos
- Silver, Charles & Hyman, David A., Overcharged why Americans pay too much for Health, Cato Institute, 2018. | Offered by Cato Institute