Master Dissertation in Political Science and International Relations: Security and Defense Viva Voce: "Do Nominalismo à Modernidade: Contributos de Guilherme de Ockham para o Pensamento Político Moderno", António Pedro Barreiro, BA
Jury: Prof. Miguel Morgado; Prof. Diogo Pires Aurélio; Prof. Hugo Chelo
Date: October 29, 3.30pm
Venue: Room Sociedade Científica (1st Floor, BUJPII Building)
02 and 03 Oct.
Elections for the IEP's Pedagogical Committee
"Conversas sobre a Europa" - José Manuel Durão Barroso in a dialogue with Carlos Moedas (2pm)
Holy Spirit Mass (12pm)
11 and 12 Oct.
Intensive Seminar with Prof. Ian Crowe, Belmont Abbey College
5th Winston Churchill Memorial Lecture and Dinner – Opening of the Academic Year
End of the 1st period (BA)
End of the 1st period (MA and PhD)
23 Oct. – 05 Nov.
Evaluation period of the 1st period (BA)
28 Oct. – 05 Nov.
Evaluation period of the 1st period (MA and PhD)
5 September | Reception to the new students of 1st cycle
11 September | Reception to the new students of 2nd and 3rd cycles
11 September | IEP Meeting for Strategic Reflection: Estoril Golf Club
19 - 21 September | The Michael Oakeshott Association 10th Anniversary Conference
"Philosophy, Poetry and Conservatism", with The Michael Oakeshott Association
IEP is delighted to inform that, during the Michael Oakeshott Association 10th Anniversary Conference, Professor Carlos Marques de Almeida was elected to the Executive Committee.
23 September | The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends...
The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends Otto Filipe Lampe, MA on defending his MA Degree (Governance, Leadership and Democracy Studies) on the theme: "The EU's Political Communication: Communicating, Achievements to Citizens in a Changing Environment. A cross-sectional-study involving Germany and Portugal", at the Viva Voce held on September 23. The candidate was unanimously approved with the final classification of 18 - Summa cum Laude.
Jury Prof. William Hasselberger, Prof. Nuno Sampaio, Prof. Sónia Ribeiro
The Institute for Political Studies hereby congratulates and commends Christophe Béraud, MA on defending his MA Degree (Political Science and International Relations: Security and Defense) on the theme: "As Ilações Políticas que se Depreendem da Reação da Igreja Católica Apostólica Romana à Teologia da Libertação na América Latina entre 1978 e 1986: de Libertatis Nuntius a Libertatis Conscientia", at the Viva Voce held on September 25. The candidate was unanimously approved with the final classification of 18 - Summa cum Laude.
Jury Prof. Hugo Chelo, Prof. Ivone Moreira, Prof. Madalena Mayer Resende
|IEP ALUMNI CLUB|
Read the President's full message here.
"Palestra Anual Alexis de Tocqueville 1998-2018" (Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lecture 1998-2018) Book
Essentially, the book brings together the Alexis de Tocqueville Annual Lectures, which began in 1998. These are formal ceremonies to award diplomas which are preceded by a lecture by a distinguished guest speaker and followed by a formal dinner.
The name Alexis de Tocqueville may not be widely known, but it was -and continues to be- a name that expresses with particular elegance and distinction the project dreamt by IEP-UCP: a project of university autonomy, of orderly and quiet defense of freedom, of refusal of what Tocqueville called a "sterile conflict between Old Regime and Revolution" or "perpetual oscillation between serfdom and abuse".
- Price: 29.90€ -
On sale! Nova Cidadania Journal nº 68
Subscribe and get the Journal at your door!
Also available in the following bookstores:
Almedina, Livraria Jurídica, Férin, Papelaria do Alto (Estoril), Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Wook, Pingo Doce stores and directly from IEP-UCP!
20-year IEP Booklet
As part of the 20th Anniversary celebrations of the Institute for Political Studies of the Universidade Católica Portuguesa, we are pleased to launch the "IEP-UCP 20-Year Booklet" which provides a retrospective of what we have come to do.
On sale at IEP: 5€
During the past month, IEP acquired for its library the following books:
- Blanchette, Jude. China’s New Red Guards: The Return of Radicalism and the Rebirth of Mao Zedong. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019
- Eberstadt, Mary. Primal Screams: How the Sexual Revolution Created Identity Politics. West Conshohocken: Templeton Press, 2019
- Garrard, G., e Murphy, J. B. How to Think Politically: Sages, Scholars and Statesmen Whose Ideas Have Shaped the World. London: Bloomsbury Continuum, 2019
- Holland, Tom. Dominion: The Making of the Western Mind. Great Britain: Little, Brown, 2019.
- Marshall, C., Lightman, B., e England, R. orgs., The Metaphysical Society (1869-1880): Intellectual Life in Mid-Victorian England. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019
- Moorhouse, Roger. First to Fight: The Polish War 1939. United Kingdom: Bodley Head, 2019
- Panichas, George. The Essential Russell Kirk: Selected Essays. Delaware: Intercollegiate Studies Institute, 2014
- Wright, Matthew. A Vindication of Politics. Kansas: University Press of Kansas, 2019
Furthermore, during the past month, the following books were offered to IEP's library:
- Kos, Eric, ed. Michael Oakeshott on Authority, Governance, and the State. Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019 | Offered by Prof. Eric Kos
- Coats, Wendell John Jr. Michael Oakeshott as a Philosopher of the "Creative", and Other Essays. United Kingdom: Imprint Academic, 2019 | Offered by Prof. Wendell John Coats Jr.
- Jackson, R., Sorensen, G., and Moller, J. Introduction to International Relations: Theories and Approaches. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019 | Offered by Dr. Michael Sanfey
- Dias, Ronaldo. Processo Constitucional e Estado Democrático de Direito. Belo Horizonte: Del Rey, 2018 | Offered by Prof. Ronaldo Dias
- Leal, Rosemiro. Processo como Teoria da Lei Democrática. Belo Horizonte: Fórum, 2017 | Offered by Prof. Rosemiro Leal
- Leal, Rosemiro. Teoria Processual da Decisão Jurídica. Belo Horizonte: D'Plácido, 2016 | Offered by Prof. Rosemiro Leal
- Paim, António. Liberdade Acadêmica e Opção Totalitária. Campinas: Távola, 2019 | Offered by Dr. António Roberto Batista
- Paim, António. Personagens da Política Brasileira. São Paulo: Scriptum, 2019 | Offered by Dr. António Roberto Batista
- Paim, A., Batista, A., Neto, H., Machado, L., Macedo, R., Figueiredo, R., e Kahn,T. Interpretações do Brasil: Tradicionais e Novas Abordagens Históricas, Econômicas e Diplomáticas. São Paulo: Scriptum, 2018 | Offered by Dr. António Roberto Batista
- Ribeiro, Gabriel Mithá. Um Século de Escombros: Pensar o Futuro com os Valores Morais da Direita. Alfragide: Oficina do Livro, 2019 | Offered by Gabriel Mithá Ribeiro
- Centro de Estudos Estaratégicos da Marinha. Cadernos Navais, Nº52 (Abril - Junho de 2019) | Offered by Vice Admiral Victor Cajarabille